Re: 36 Dutch Tourists Robbed in Johannesburg

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Terrible! There is no doubt that the police and administrations are not doing enough. It is important to get at these youngsters when they are young enough to me educated and taken away from their natural environments for good. If not there is no way of saving them :no: It costs a lot of money and you need the right people who are specifically educated for the task and motivated and those are not easy to find. To me it seems that everybody is more interested in themselves than in the future of the country and the inhabitants whatever their colour. In countries with much poverty the worst enemy is ignorance, lack of education and indifference. Does the word "menefreghismo" exist in English?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Menefrighismo -- couldn't care less , who cares , so what ? not my problem .

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Exactly \O

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 pm

It all started with the string of cadre-deployed idiot police ministers and Police Chiefs we've had over the last decade or more. They set bad examples, so what are the cops meant to look up to? My domestic tells me of murder, robbery and rape in her township every week, (her son was killed in front of her grandson a couple of months ago), and the cops rarely come at night, waiting until daylight.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm

:no: :no: :no:
sad so sad.... bad exemple = bad behaviour :evil:

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am

:-( :-( From a "Western nose"...kinda scary. We had increased our visits to SA from once a year, to twice a year in the past 2 years, with me going by myself (female \O ) last year as well....but I am taking a more careful approach next year due to all the negative reports, including one of our own ( 0/0 0/0 my Sis)...won't be returning anytime soon, very sorry to say. :-( :-( :no:

I'm sure I'll be sitting on my veranda one evening, reminiscing about our incredible visits, and change my mind, but right now...it's up in the air. :-(

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 am

Don't want to sound like a "Debbie Downer" here....we (USA) have extraordinary problems of our own @#$ @#$ It's not "countries", it's "people" - just a bit weary of it all right now. 0:

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 am

Too right ExFmem! 0*\

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am

You are quite right, ExF \O

I am almost asking for it, but I am going with Nan to KTP 0*\ I need to get away and alone is no fun, so ........... O**

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:09 pm

ExFmem wrote:Don't want to sound like a "Debbie Downer" here....we (USA) have extraordinary problems of our own @#$ @#$ It's not "countries", it's "people" - just a bit weary of it all right now. 0:

That's correct ExF \O Tourists often become victims because they are unaware of specific situations associated with specific areas . During one of our visits to the USA , while driving in Miami , we took a wrong turning or something and suddenly realised that we were " lost ". Luckily we saw a police vehicle , and when we asked for directions , were told that we were entering a very high crime area and to turn around immediately :X:
Another time , we had a similar experience in a small town named Farmington , near Four Corners , New Mexico - stopped by the Sheriff who told us " Sir , we have a situation here " . The " situation " turned out to be a shoot-out of some kind in the middle of the street , involving some guy with a gun at the local school . 0*\
And another time we were almost mugged in New York !

So , yeahh , crime is all over the world , but in South Africa , people are becoming apathetic and a very large number of crimes are not even reported because people do not have faith in the police any more :O^