Re: AW 2014 Project- Award for Best Camp in Southern Africa

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 am

Funny how we are all different...Pretoriuskop would be last on my list! =O: \O

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 am

Second last for me, Skukuza is firmly at the bottom of my list.

Will negative comments have an effect on this award or are we just supposed to be positive?

In which case I will say that I positively don't like Skukuza :-)

Re: Award for Best Camp - Discussion and comments

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Well , from the looks of it , it appears that nominations are being made/done very much on the basis of personal preferences/experiences .
Which is all very well , but IMHO , may not necessarily a fair way of doing it .
In this instance , one should remember that not everyone has visited each and every camp so nominated , and therefore very difficult to judge from that point of view alone .
To be fair , to my mind , judgement should be based on more than factors than personal preferences , such as facilities available , situation , ease of access , remoteness ( peace and quiet ) , layout , service , etc etc .

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Right, okie \O

I wonder why Tamboti has not been nominated :O^ would be amongst my KNP favs, it has the feel of a wilderness camp, is in a good game viewing location, though less expensive than the bush camps, exctiting nightlife, bush view for all tents.

Also the bushveld camps are all very nice, for me better than the large camps in Kruger - but very few people have been there. Srheni, Biyamati and Talamati are tops for me.

And for me it all depends on the unit you book, if you have a riverside bungalow at Skukuza, it's very nice, the rondavels away from the riverfront - forget about it :twisted: But that's only my personal preference, I want to sit with bushview, or overlooking a riverbed or waterhole.

If you are a camper you might like Punda Maria overlooking the waterhole, but the Chalets and Safari Tents don't have a good location within the camp. Though the tents are very nice to sit for a braai, but you won't see much there and some of them are even far from the fence and you will see birds only.
So for me, if I want a camp in the north, it's Sirheni rather than Punda.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Right Toko \O
It becomes quite difficult when you have to choose on preference . I love Tambotie too , and if you really think about it , then there is very little wrong with a lot of others . Lower Sabie is really very good , well situated , lots of animals , good facilities , but we have have not stayed there for a number of years , because of difficulty to get reservations , and ( very important ) too many people around ( especially misbehaving ) . And Skuks is great , liked and disliked too for much of the same reasons - and always good for a quick unplanned " one-night stand ". O**
Balule is really fantastic , but you are lucky to get some time there -- ( we are lucky O/\ ) .

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 pm

and then there are all the little incidents that happen. We had a horrible chalet at Lower Sabie and a terrrible treatment at the restaurant, so of course I would not nominate it, no matter how good the game viewing and the position of the deck.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Flutterby wrote:Funny how we are all different...Pretoriuskop would be last on my list! =O: \O

Was thinking of your reaction when posting Flutts =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: ^0^

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:07 pm

=O: =O: \O

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I think the trophies are being made! \O