Re: Insect or Invertebrates Identification

Fri May 13, 2016 10:59 am

Can anyone help with an ID for this moth (or at least I think it's a moth)? It was spotted in the garden at Evita se Perron in Darling in late April 2016.

Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm

arks wrote:Can anyone help with an ID for this moth (or at least I think it's a moth)? It was spotted in the garden at Evita se Perron in Darling in late April 2016.

0/* arks

That's a Sphinx Hawkmoth

http://www.sagr.co.za/forum/viewtopic.p ... 10#p325564

Fri May 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Toko wrote:
arks wrote:Can anyone help with an ID for this moth (or at least I think it's a moth)? It was spotted in the garden at Evita se Perron in Darling in late April 2016.

0/* arks

That's a Sphinx Hawkmoth

http://www.sagr.co.za/forum/viewtopic.p ... 10#p325564

Many thanks for the ID, Toko O0

However, one thing puzzles me. Why is the post that you refered me to, which is of my photo, dated 19 Oct 2014, 17:27 ??? I only took my photo in May 2016 ... O**

Sat May 21, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Arks,

Toko is away for a few days.

It is most likely a technical question. In order to place your photo at the right place in the AW book of Invertebrates, the date must be the same as the others of the same family, if not the system places it at the end being the most recent one. Posts are automatically put in order of date.

Sat May 21, 2016 11:19 am

Ja, Toko copied another post of the 19/10/2014 and basically added it as a double to the thread and then changed the double into your sighting for the reason Lis already mentioned. \O

Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 am

Well, I think that's quite weird and I'd really prefer that my photo have a correct 2016 date; otherwise, I'd prefer that it be removed, please.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Subject: Africa Wild Insect Book: Moths (Lepidoptera)

have added sighting date to the entry.

The purpose here is to have a "book" where users can search easily, so new entries and updates go into "old" posts to maintain a logic arrangement.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:59 pm

I am :o0ps: Never read the introduction --00--

Very well done, Toko ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ O0 0/0

Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 am

Toko wrote:Subject: Africa Wild Insect Book: Moths (Lepidoptera)

have added sighting date to the entry.

The purpose here is to have a "book" where users can search easily, so new entries and updates go into "old" posts to maintain a logic arrangement.

Still seems weird to me. Why is it "logical" to have items organised by the date entered? Wouldn't it be more "logical" to have items arranged alphabetically? :-?

Mon May 23, 2016 10:22 am

Arks, they are ordered alphabetically, but if your post was left with the original date it would slot in at that date and not with the relevant info and other pics of that particular insect.