Wildlife Experiences in "Built up Areas"*

Wed May 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Lets see pics and hear stories of wildlife in urban area's.

I will start with an email that I received from a customer this morning. Please excuse the "caps", but this is a copy and paste of the email. :wink:

BLACK MAMBA CAUGHT AT PHALABORA AIRPORT FENCE

HI
THIS HUGE MAMBA WAS SPOTTED BY CONRAD , A LOCAL RESIDENT NEXT TO THE FENCE OF THE AIRPORT , HE THEN CALL IN THE HELP OF THIS SNAKE CATCHER , WHO CAUGHT IT AND IT WERE SAFELY RELEASED IN THE PARK . ACCORDING TO HIM HE NEVER SAW SUCH A MAMBA AND WAS VERY NERVOUIS UNTIL THE SNAKE SAILED AWAY , CONGRATS !

I am glad to see that there are more people out there that save these creatures instead of bragging about how big the snake was that they killed last night! \O

Re: Wildlife Experiences in "Built up Area's".

Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 pm

My son 5 yrs old last year, almost stepped on this. :shock:

That feather duster is longer than it looks, and the puff adder was happily alive and released by myself.

Re: Wildlife Experiences in "Built up Area's".

Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Wow those snake stories are amazing FG and Sprocky. At my workplace at Sasol the Emergency services are also trained at handling snakes. You would think a refinery is not a place for wild life but you wrong. Some guys patrol the large area around the factory on horse back as well. We have a small game area around the factory so its quite nice to see springbok or zebra on the way to work.

Of the smaller mammals I've not seen many, but unfortunately only saw the road kill. :cry:

One morning on my way to work I've past porcupine quills in the road and a car with a flat tyre. Wonder why. Jackal and mongooses can also be seen frequently - just sad to see them dead.

Birding is also great along the river running through the plant and marsh land.

Two weeks back we saw a jackal along the N17 feeding on road kill. SO thought it was a stray dog but when we got closer saw that's a jackal.

Forestgump story on the puffadder reminded me of my sons experience when he nearly stepped on one on the Otter Trail. He was about 5 years old the same age as FG's son at that time. We were returning back to camp from the 1st waterfall when he suddenly stopped and pointed to the snake in the path. A group of hikers with sandals on passed us 5 minutes before and must have walked right passed the puffadder.

SO also came to the rescue with a long stick flicking it to the side, but no posing for pic. \O

In a tight spot

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 am

I received these pics via email. The only info given was that they were taken in Phalaborwa.

How huge is this snake??? :shock: I'm sure the home owners were glad it was slowed down by the fence!! O-/

Re: In a tight spot

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 am

Scary! :shock: O-/ :shock:

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

:shock: :shock: :O^ :O^ O-/ O-/ What would it have done to my poor doggie, just woundering how many cats and dogs do go missing there

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Aah PRWIN...such a cutie wouldn't stand a chance! :-(

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I think we discussed these pics a while ago, and that they are quite old, have done the rounds and location been changed a few times.

Snakes: Interesting or Unusual Behaviour

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm

I saw several Mole Snakes... but this one seems to be very light in colour

it seems it catched something in the sand of the road, Kgalagadi sept. 2012

this one is a Cape Cobra. I saw it on the road (big dune in KTP sept. 2012)
It turned, and turned and turned, a long time, in the road and after in the sand.
A car was behind me... maybe 10 min., not so slow !!!
So I take a lot of photos to see if
it has a wound... then I saw that

it's an ovipare, but it seems to early for eggs... it's "only" an urgent need :-?

Re: Snake ID and behaviour needed

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Nan,

My book says that Mole Snakes can be light brown in colour similar to the one in your pic. \O

This Cobra normally lays eggs in mid-summer, so this must be one answering the call of nature. -O

Great photos Nan. \O