Re: Backyard wildlife

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Hmmm.... That does not look like a spitting cobra which is basically black ,( very much like a rinkhals ) whilst this one is yellow --- well within colour variations of the cape cobra -- very often called a " geelslang " - yellowsnake lol

Also , cape cobra normally occur in the west/south western parts of SA , including in Namibia and Botswana , but I have never heard of them occurring as far east as Gauteng :O^

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Maybe they visit his brewery and change colour? -O-

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Uh, ah... quite a serious neighbour, H.e. O-/

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Hmmm... this is very interesting . I looked up in Sanbi-website , and it appears their distribution do include the WESTERN parts of Gauteng :

Distribution

The Cape cobra is endemic to southern Africa and is found widely in the Western and Northern Cape provinces, and into the Free State, North West Province, western parts of Gauteng, Eastern Cape, Botswana and southern Namibia. It is restricted to the western deserts and scrublands of southern Africa.

You learn something new every day \O

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Interesting, Cloeusokie! \O

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Could even be a "molslang" ,.. O** struggling
through the phases of maternity,, =O:

Oops,.. O-/

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Again yesterday,. managed too see the tail end of it slither
into the thicket,...

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Well , don't mess around with it :X: It is one of the most dangerous snakes in Africa - 4 hours is all it takes :X:

Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm

My post here in February ....

okie wrote:Had a visit from the resident Zorilla here on the farm - , cornered on the verandah by Charlie-dog ( my cross Shepherd-Husky ) , and Tammy ( border collie ) .
Herewith a pic .

IMG_2172.JPG

Ol' Charlie-dog had another round with this animal last night , and this time the polecat came off second best , with Charlie killing him :-(

On the one hand , not nice , but then , the polecat seems to have been raiding the poultry runs lately , stealing some eggs from one of my broody/ducks 0=
So , well done Charlie lol , but , he is not smelling very nice either ...... yuchhh 0*\

Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Well Charlie was only doing his job. \O