Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 pm

November 8th will be a sad day as we leave Pretoriuskop after 21 days in the Kruger. We have a 7.30pm flight, so won't risk hanging around and will make an early start back. Chances are, we will arrive back early, so can anyone recommend things to do to kill a couple of hours? A nice shopping mall maybe.

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:12 pm

rayb wrote:November 8th will be a sad day as we leave Pretoriuskop after 21 days in the Kruger. We have a 7.30pm flight, so won't risk hanging around and will make an early start back. Chances are, we will arrive back early, so can anyone recommend things to do to kill a couple of hours? A nice shopping mall maybe.


Hi Rayb, There is a emperors palace quite close to OR Thambo, has restaurants, arcade, gambling facilities, movies, etc...

about 15 to 20 minutes from OR Thambo there is the East Rand mall, which has quite the array of shops and restaurants.

If your after African "novelties" the flea market is opposite of the East Rand Mall.

If I were you, check on google maps for more information. there are many places within a 10km radius from OR Thambo.

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks BravoEen. We went to the East Rand Mall last time but that was 9 years ago. The Flea market sounds good.

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 pm

rayb wrote:Thanks BravoEen. We went to the East Rand Mall last time but that was 9 years ago. The Flea market sounds good.


Cheers!

There is also a nice pub inside the airport, which serves 3 types of locally made craft beer, with a overlook of the airplanes.

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Be careful O-/

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Lisbeth wrote:Be careful O-/


Of anything in particular Lisbeth? Leaving a car full of our cases etc. in a mall carpark is a bit worrying.

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:33 pm

That too! Last time I happened to be in Joburg I was highjacked, when my parents were there years ago, all their money were stolen, so it is definitely not my kind of town. Even reading the local paper is scary :evil:

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Just don't tell the car guards you have valuables in the car, whatever you do! ;-)

And also don't obviously look like tourists, like wearing sandals and socks! =O:

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Richprins wrote:Just don't tell the car guards you have valuables in the car, whatever you do! ;-)

And also don't obviously look like tourists, like wearing sandals and socks! =O:


Great advice Rich. The bar at JNB is looking more and more attractive. :)

Re: Things to do close to O R Tambo

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Ag, it's not that bad...our minister of Sport and Police is threatening hellfire upon OR Tambo crooks! lol X#X