Ideas for a new AW Project - Needy Children & Conservation

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm willing to buy some "stuff" for kids in SA, etc. I assume my cc info. is safe with whomever it would be entrusted to in this case. Maybe for prizes or achievements of some kind or other, or just need in some of the poorer communities. -O-

You guys 'n gals know what is needed and what is fair, so make me an offer I can't refuse.... O** O**

Re: Africa Wild t-shirts, golf shirts and caps for sale

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:38 am

Lovely offer ExFmem! O0

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:54 am

Flutterby wrote:Lovely offer ExFmem! O0
Agreed \O

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:07 pm

ExFmem wrote:I'm willing to buy some "stuff" for kids in SA, etc. I assume my cc info. is safe with whomever it would be entrusted to in this case. Maybe for prizes or achievements of some kind or other, or just need in some of the poorer communities. -O-

You guys 'n gals know what is needed and what is fair, so make me an offer I can't refuse.... O** O**

Hey, Ex!

Have been giving this a lot of thought, and came up with the following:

I think such an effort should be combined with conservation, if it's from an AW member, and that is our core mandate?

Also, as you say, one needs a reputable institution with international credit card access for Western Noses?

Contacted Hoedspruit via wynand, one of our old members, and will be getting in touch with Theresa Sowry, the famous ranger Richard Sowry's wife, who is involved with Antipoaching training at African Wildlife college....can't get much more reputable than that?

My suggestion was that you partially "sponsor" a disadvantaged school-leaver to apply for training, or sponsor a cash prize for the best junior disadvantaged student?

She will also have good ideas otherwise in that area, I'm sure! (I mentioned R5000 to start)

Thoughts? -O-

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks for giving your thoughts and effort here, RP. Always appreciated!

I do like the idea of sponsorship for a needy child/children very much, especially if it leads to a job/interest in Conservation. As long as it could be handled with transparency as to how/who the funds are dispensed to, I would certainly donate to that.

Perhaps we can entertain other's ideas for an AW Project that may touch more lives or even have more than one project we support. If there are enough ideas, it could always go to a vote so that all the Forum members have some input.

As a beginning, I would be willing to match donations, Rand for Rand, up to R 2500, which would raise a total of R 5000 0- . If there was enough interest, I can always adjust my offer even higher.

Suggestions and comments welcome. \O

Re: Ideas for a new AW Project - Needy Children & Conservati

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello, Ex!

Spoke to Theresa today, and she is keen on another idea too, regarding the effective utilisation of limited funds, which I agree with.

Essentially for R5000 she will take a GROUP of younger local disadvantaged kids in for an awareness day at the African Wildlife College, including talks, rhino meet, bushwalk/drive etc. I think it is overnight. There is precious little awareness in that neighbouring community, with few children ever having seen a rhino, for example.

She will mail tomorrow, and I'll forward. \O

AW no longer does "Fundraising" per se, as the bank costs became prohibitive!

However, for once-off projects we can obviously redirect any funds offered, as you have done! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

For those wishing to assist, I simply redirect credit card info, delete details and store proof of payment offshore...easy, and have done it before! X#X

Ideas?

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:21 pm

That sounds like a wonderful idea to me, RP. Just need to iron out the details regarding any fund raising issues for AW. I like the idea of more than just one child being involved, as well. Appreciate all you are doing!

Also, IF someone else has other suggestions, let's hear 'em...even as parallel projects, or for the future. ..0..

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 pm

If this happens, I'll rather sponsor some AW t-shirts for those kids going on the trip! ..0.. \O

Remember, foreigners...with the exchange rate, it's getting easier and easier! :twisted:

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Richprins wrote:Remember, foreigners...with the exchange rate, it's getting easier and easier! :twisted:

0- Much easier and cheaper for SAffies ^0^

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:00 pm

ExFmem wrote:
As a beginning, I would be willing to match donations, Rand for Rand, up to R 2500, which would raise a total of R 5000 0- . If there was enough interest, I can always adjust my offer even higher.

Suggestions and comments welcome. \O

Does this have any chance of going any further, i.e. enough donations for the other R2500 (say, 10 people giving R250 each or 20 giving R125 each), in addition to my R2500, to reach the needed R5000?

I know most people are on tight budgets these days, as well as donating to other charities and causes, so it may just not be feasible -O- . It could also be handled more privately so names don't need to be posted, such as email/PM to RP.

Just need an honest view, please. Thanks! :ty: